Skip to main content

GRAMMAR:-Preposition Exercises with Answers

A preposition is a word placed before a Noun or Pronoun to show its relation to some other word in the sentence. Some examples of prepositions are words like "in", "at", "on", "of", and "to". Prepositions in English are highly idiomatic. Fill the blanks with the suitable prepositions 1) The dog ran ____ the road. 2) The river flows ____ the bridge. 3) The work was done ____ haste. 4) He is afraid ____ the dog. 5) I am fond ____ music. 6) He goes ____ Sunday ____ church. 7) He died ____ his country. 8) The steam-engine was invented ____ James Watt. 9) The burglar jumped ____ the compound wall. 10) The village was destroyed ____ fire. 11) What is that ____ me? 12) It cannot be done ____ offence. 13) He spoke ____ me ____ Urdu. 14) They live ____ the same roof. 15) I have not seen him ____ Wednesday last. 16) I have known him ____ a long time. 17) The moon does not shine ____ its own light. 18) This is a matter ____ little importance. 19) I am tired ____ walking. 20) He has not yet recovered ____ his illness. 21) I shall do it ____ pleasure. 22) God is good ____ me. 23) I will sit ____ my desk to do my lesson. 24) I am sorry ____ what I have done. 25) O God! Keep me ____ sin. 26) I bought it ____ seventy rupees. 27) He broke the jug ____ a hundred pieces. 28) It has been raining ____ yesterday. 29) I have been working hard ____ arithmetic. 30) We suffered ____ your neglect. 31) The exercise was written ____ me ____ a Camlin pen. 32) “Will you walk ____ my parlour?” said the spider ____ the fly. 33) It is ten o’clock ____ my watch. 34) There is nothing new ____ the sun. 35) Do not cry ____ spilt milk. 36) You, boys, must settle it ____ yourselves. 37) The public are cautioned ____ pickpockets. 38) They drove ____ Mumbai ____ Pune. Answers A preposition can have its Object a Noun, a Pronoun, a Gerund, an Infinitive or a Noun Clause. Here is a list of commonly used prepositions: above, across, against, along, among, around, at, before, behind, below, beneath, beside, between, by, down, from, in, into, near, of, off, on, to, toward, under, upon, with and within. Using the above prepositions, we can easily fill up the blanks in the given questions: 1) The dog ran along the road. 2) The river flows under the bridge. 3) The work was done in haste. 4) He is afraid of the dog. 5) I am fond of music. 6) He goes on Sunday to church. 7) He died for his country. 8) The steam engine was invented by James Watt. 9) The burglar jumped over the compound wall. 10) The village was destroyed by fire. 11) What is that to me? 12) It cannot be done without offence. 13) He spoke to me in Urdu. 14) They live under the same roof. 15) I have not seen him since Wednesday last. 16) I have known him for a long time. 17) The moon does not shine by its own light. 18) This is a matter of little importance. 19) I am tired of walking. 20) He has not yet recovered from his illness. 21) I shall do it with pleasure. 22) God is good to me. 23) I will sit at my desk to do my lesson. 24) I am sorry for what I have done. 25) O God! Keep me from/off sin. 26) I bought it for seventy rupees. 27) He broke the jug into a hundred pieces. 28) It has been raining since yesterday. 29) I have been working hard at arithmetic. 30) We suffered from your neglect. 31) The exercise was written by me with a Camlin pen. 32) “Will you walk into my parlour?” said the spider to the fly. 33) It is ten o’clock by my watch. 34) There is nothing new under the sun. 35) Do not cry over spilt milk. 36) You, boys, must settle it among/by yourselves. 37) The public is cautioned against pickpockets. 38) They drove from Mumbai to Pune. Q. Complete the sentences with appropriate Prepositions: Government departments are accountable ______________ their spending. He is very active ______________ the scouting movement. She is very adaptable ______________ change. He is very adept ______________ making people feel at ease. We are afraid ______________ making him angry. She is anxious ______________ something happening to her children. He reconciled __________ his opponent. They were appreciative ______________ what we had done for them. Her dress was appropriate ______________ the occasion. He is not ashamed ______________ the bad things he has done. Answer for in to at of about with of for of Q. Fill in the blanks with appropriate Prepositions: The enemy is ______________ my door. He will come ______________ an hour. The boy takes ______________ his father. The building is ______________ construction. He fell dead ______________ my eyes. I was cautioned ______________ believing rumours. Children quarrel ______________ trivial matters. The refugees have encroached ______________ his land. I prevailed ______________ him to join the picnic. Answer at after from under in front of against over upon on Q. Choose the correct preposition given in brackets. Is she related (with/ to) you? They walked (in/ into) the room. He aimed his gun (at/ on) the robber. The cat is sitting (in/under)the table. He killed the snake (by/ with) a stick. Answer Is she related to you? They walked into the room. He aimed his gun at the robber. The cat is sitting under the table. He killed the snake with a stick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VERB AND FORMS OF VERB WITH HINDI MEANING_List of Verb in hindi

Verbs What is a verb? Verbs are the action words in a sentence that describe what the subject is doing. Along with nouns, verbs are the main part of a sentence or phrase, telling a story about what is taking place.     Verbs are words that express action or state of being. There are three types of verbs:  action verbs, linking verbs, and helping verbs .  Action verbs are words that express action (give, eat, walk, etc.) or possession (have, own, etc.). Action verbs can be either transitive or intransitive. List of Verb in hindi Present Hindi Meaning   Past Past Participle Buy खरीदना Bought Bought Build बांधना Built Built burn जलना Burnt Burnt Bend झुकना Bent Bent Bring लाना brought brought Become होना Became Become Come आना Came Come Catch पकड़ना Caught Caught Do करना Did Done Dream ख्वाब देखना Dreamt Dreamt Arise उठना / जागना Arose Arisen Be होना Was, were Been Bear सहन करना Bore Bore Beat मारना Beat Beat Bite काटना Bit Bitten Break तोडना Broke Broken Choose चुनना Chose Chosen Draw चि

GRAMMAR:-Interjection Exercises With Answers Sheet-1

Interjections An interjection is a word that expresses sudden feelings: Joy, grief, surprise, praise, anger etc. Examples: 1. Hello! How are you? 2. Hurrah! We have won the match. 3. Alas! My granny is dead! 4. Hush! The baby is asleep. 5. Hurrah! We have won the tennis match. 6. Oh! I forgot to tell you something. 7. Ah! What a pleasant surprise. 8. Oh God! I got such fright. 9. Bravo! Well done. Interjections and their Expressions: Interjection Expression Hurrah! Joy Oh dear! borrow Alas! Ah! Sorrow Ugh! disgust Oh! Wonder Good heavens! horror Interjection Expression Bravo! Praise for goodness sake! anger Fie! Hatred Hello! address My goodness! Surprise Wow! Happiness Match the following columns: Column-A Column-B Hurrah! Sorrow Oh! Happiness Hello! Wonder Wow! Joy Alas! Address Fill in the blanks: 1. _____! How can you behave like this? 2. ______! I have secured first position in the class. 3. ______! I have won a prize. 4. ______! Did you hear me? 5. _______!

Synonym-Antonym list with Hindi Meaning

S.No Word शब्द Synonym Antonym 1 Abate रोक-थाम करना moderate, decrease aggravate, supplement 2 Abject अधम despicable, servile, commendable, praiseworthy 3 Abjure त्यागना forsake, renounce, approve, sanction 4 Abortive निष्फल vain, unproductive, effectual productive 5 Absolve दोषमुक्त करना pardon, forgive , compel, accuse 6 Accord सहमति agreement, harmony , disagreement, discord 7 Acrimony रूखापन harshness, bitterness, courtesy, benevolence 8 Adamant अटल stubborn, inflexible , flexible, soft 9 Adherent पक्षपाती follower, disciple , rival, adversary 10 Adjunct सहायक joined, added , separated, subtracted 11 Admonish धिक्कारना counsel, reprove , approve, applaud 12 Adversity विपत्ति misfortune, calamity , prosperity, fortune 13 Alien विदेशी foreigner, outsider , native, resident 14 Allay निराकरणकरना pacify, soothe , aggravate, excite 15 Alleviate कम करना abate, relieve , aggrava